The Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities (TCDD) has funds available to support presentations on disability-related issues at conferences in Texas. Stipend grants are also available to support individuals with developmental disabilities and their family members to attend events. Funds for these grants are made available to TCDD by the Administration on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities.
In order to apply for a TCDD grant to support disability-related presentations, organizations must read and agree to the TCDD Assurances.
DD Council Intent
TCDD support is available for conference speaker presentations on disability-related topics at established in-state professional or informational conferences, workshops, seminars, or legislative advocacy skills training events that provide participants with information and awareness about best practices in providing services and supports to individuals with developmental disabilities and/or directly promote self-advocacy and self-determination. TCDD believes that such presentations can enhance opportunities for individuals with developmental disabilities to exercise choice and control in their lives, and can promote independence, productivity, and community inclusion of people with developmental disabilities. TCDD support for conference presentations is limited to conferences, workshops, or seminars conducted in Texas. Funds under this Request for Proposals (RFP) are available for general session and/or concurrent (breakout) session presentations.
Individuals are not eligible for these grants.
Applications for TCDD support for conference presentations must be received by TCDD at least 90 days in advance of the starting date of the meeting, conference, or legislative seminar. The request must demonstrate that:
- The proposed presentation topic(s) focus on best practices for providing services and supports to individuals with developmental disabilities and/or directly promote self-advocacy and self-determination;
- The proposed presentation will be consistent with the mission, philosophical principles, goals, and/or objectives of the Council; and
- The philosophy of the sponsoring organization is consistent with the mission and philosophical principles of the Council.
It is not the intent of the Council that these funds be used for weekend retreats, summer family camps, or similar recreation activities:
- Disability-related presentation applications will be considered only for in-state conferences, workshops, and seminars and will not be considered for organization board meetings.
- Grants for presentations are intended to assist organizations sponsoring a conference, workshop, or seminar to promote change so that all people with disabilities are fully included in their communities and exercise control over their own lives.
- The organization applying for funds for presentations must be a sponsoring organization of the meeting, conference, workshop, or seminar.
- TCDD funds for presentations may be used for transportation, meals, and lodging for speakers, expenses for an attendant, respite care or other accommodations, as well as speaker fees.
- Funds are limited to not more than $7,500 per event.
- An organization may not receive more than one award annually during the period June 1 though May 31, with the exception that TCDD may consider more than one presentation application annually when the event is a national conference hosted by the state affiliate in Texas.
- Documentation and receipts will be required for all expenditures.
Program report summarizing the results and benefits of the activity is required.
- Organizations that receive funds will be responsible for complying with all rules and procedures of TCDD.
- Awards must be spent within 30 days of the meeting, conference, workshop, or legislative seminar.
- A minimum of 10% matching funds as a share of direct costs is required.
- Funds are limited to one $7,500 conference presentation grant per organization, per year, for one in-state meeting, conference, or workshop.
- Organizations that receive funds will allow TCDD one exhibit booth per conference at no additional cost to TCDD.
Application and Submission Process
- To obtain the required stipend information, please review the TCDD Assurances. Once you check the “accept” box in agreement to indicate intent to comply with the stated requirements, the complete application can then be downloaded.
- Applications must be submitted 90 days prior to the first day of the event. Applications received after this date will not be reviewed.
- Any requested revisions to an application made by TCDD must be returned within five days of the request to avoid dismissal of the application.
- Applications must be submitted electronically to Grants2@tcdd.texas.gov.
TCDD reserves the right to waive limitations on this RFP on an individual or case-by-case basis based on the merits of the proposal submitted.