The Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities (TCDD) has funds available to support translation and interpretation services to reduce linguistic barriers among individuals with developmental disabilities and families to access services and supports in Texas. Funds for these grants are made available to TCDD by the Administration on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities.
In order to apply for translation and interpretation services stipend support grants, organizations must read and agree to the TCDD Assurances. The application will be provided when this step has been completed.
DD Council Intent
TCDD support is available to translate printed materials or provide interpretation services for not-for-profit organizations or agencies to support people with developmental disabilities and families to understand and access services and supports, or to inform people with developmental disabilities and their families about their rights. TCDD believes that translation and interpretation will help to reduce linguistic barriers in order to enhance opportunities for individuals with developmental disabilities to exercise choice and control in their lives and to promote independence, productivity, and community inclusion of people with developmental disabilities. TCDD support for translation and interpretation services is limited to community organizations who do not have a current grant from TCDD that should include funds for translation of these materials. State and federal agencies and individuals are not eligible to receive these grants.
Applications for translation and interpretation support must be received by TCDD at least 60 days in advance of the date the material will be distributed or the date of the event the interpretation services are needed. The request must demonstrate that:
- The materials and messages translated with these funds are consistent with person-centered and family-centered philosophy;
- The outreach strategies will have the greatest impact to reach and include unserved and underserved populations in Texas; and
- The materials and messages are consistent with the TCDD Mission, TCDD Philosophy (Position Statements) and State Plan Goals and Objectives of the Council.
It is not the intent of the Council that these funds be used for translation or interpretation services that the applicant organization is already responsible to provide:
- State agencies, federal agencies, and organizations who currently receive a TCDD grant that should include funds for translation of these materials are not eligible to apply.
- Translation and interpretation applications will be considered only for in-state outreach activities designed to increase access to information and community involvement.
- Grants are intended to assist organizations to reduce linguistic barriers so that all people with disabilities are fully included in their communities and exercise control over their own lives.
- TCDD funds for presentations may be used for translation of printed materials or interpretation services at community events, conferences, or trainings. Applicants must demonstrate how individuals with developmental disabilities have greater access to information as a result of the translation and interpretation services.
- Funds are limited to not more than $3,000 per year, per organization.
- An organization may not receive translation stipends that exceed more than the maximum amount of $3,000 annually during the period October 1 to September 30. TCDD may consider more than one application annually from an applicant until this maximum amount is reached.
- After approval of the application, organizations must pay for the translation and/or interpretations services and then submit for reimbursement from TCDD.
- Documentation and original receipts will be required for all expenditures.
- Individuals are not eligible to apply.
- Organizations must submit their translated materials to TCDD for reporting purposes. TCDD will not distribute these materials.
- A final activity report summarizing the services, outreach activities, and benefits to individuals with developmental disabilities and their families must be submitted within 30 days after the translation or interpretation was completed.
- Organizations that receive funds will be responsible for complying with all rules and procedures of the Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities.
- Requests for Reimbursements must be submitted within 30 days the translation or interpretation was completed.
- No matching funds are required for this stipend.
- Funds are limited to $3,000 per organization, per year. Multiple applications from an organization may be considered until this maximum is reached.
- Funds will be provided on a reimbursement basis.
- Preference will be given to organizations that will use translation and interpretation services with the greatest impact to underserved and unserved populations in Texas.
- Translation Stipend grants are awarded based on the availability of TCDD funds.
Application and Submission Process
- To obtain the required stipend information, please review the TCDD Assurances. Once you check the “accept” box in agreement to indicate intent to comply with the stated requirements, the complete application can then be downloaded.
- Applications must be submitted 60 days prior to the use of the translated materials or the first day of the event. Applications received after this date will not be reviewed.
- Any requested revisions to an application made by TCDD must be returned within 10 days of the request to avoid dismissal of the application.
- Applications must be submitted electronically to Grants2@tcdd.texas.gov.
- If you have any questions about this stipend application, please contact Barbara.Booker@tcdd.texas.gov.
TCDD reserves the right to waive limitations on this Request for Proposals on an individual or case-by-case basis based on the merits of the proposal submitted.