Items in HHSC’s budget request could impact people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
The Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) released its Fiscal Year 2018–2019 Legislative Appropriations Request (LAR) to the public on Friday, September 16, 2016. An LAR is the agency’s budget request to operate their programs over the next two fiscal years. HHSC’s LAR includes 64 priority exceptional items the agency considers of great importance in addition to the base budget. The LAR also includes 14 options for reducing the base budget by an additional 10%.
The Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities (TCDD) staff reviewed the HHSC LAR and summarized the exceptional items and budget reduction options that could impact people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). Listed below are the 10 exceptional items you need to know about. Also, you can read HHSC’s Budget Request: 10 Things in Detail on TCDD’s website for a detailed analysis of the exceptional items and budget reduction options.
The 10 exceptional items most likely to impact people with IDD:
- Maintain Waiver Caseloads
- Maintain Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) Caseloads
- Community Attendant Wage Increase
- Promoting Independence Initiatives
- Interest List Reduction
- Sale of State-Supported Living Center (SSLC) Services to Persons in the Community
- New Construction of State Hospitals and SSLCs
- Day Habilitation Compliance
- Intensive Behavioral Intervention for People with Autism
- Community Living Assistance and Support Services (CLASS) Cost Growth
10% Budget Reduction Options
A number of options were proposed for reducing the HHSC budget for Fiscal Year 2018–2019 by 10%. Rate reductions make up about 2/3 of the 10% reduction options. Below are two of the options that, if passed by the Legislature, could impact people with IDD in Texas:
- Program and service reductions (Option 12)
- Early Childhood Intervention
- Children’s Blind Services
- Independent Living Services
- Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services
- Blindness Education, Screening, and Treatment
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing
8.2% rate reductions for some disability service providers (Option 3)
HHSC Fiscal Year 18–19 LAR — HHSC Budget Planning webpage, scroll down to “Legislative Appropriations Request (LAR)” section, click “Texas Health and Human Services Commission” and then click “2018–2019 LAR” bullet; the Texas HHSC Legislative Appropriations Request for Fiscal Years 2018–2019 Volume 1 PDF file will open in your browser.