The Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities (TCDD) issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) to fund up to three projects to develop new initiatives that will improve the lives of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) in Texas. Applicants will identify an issue that affects people with I/DD and develop innovative strategies to address the issue. The deadline to submit a proposal is October 26, 2018.
About the RFP
The intent of this RFP is to develop new initiatives that will ultimately improve the lives of Texans with I/DD. Organizations that are awarded funding through this RFP will have an opportunity to utilize their expertise to identify an issue and propose innovative strategies that address the issue. The issue could be at the local, regional, and/or statewide level. The strategies could also focus on addressing the needs of people with I/DD who are typically unserved or underserved.
Organizations that apply will identify the goal of their project and clearly define the strategies that will be used to achieve the goal. Below is a list of examples for potential project goals:
- develop, pilot, and/or demonstrate promising or best practices in services and supports
- develop, pilot, and/or demonstrate ways to promote community inclusion
- address public policy issues
- develop the capacity of communities to support and include people with I/DD
- promote advocacy and self-advocacy
The list above is not comprehensive and organizations are encouraged to propose their own innovative goals and strategies.
TCDD’s mission is to create change so that all people with disabilities are fully included in their communities and exercise control over their own lives. All proposals should align with TCDD’s mission.
In 2001, TCDD issued a similar RFP and funded multiple projects that incorporated new initiatives to improve the lives of people with I/DD and their families. Below are some examples of the issues and topics that were addressed through the previous RFP:
- accessible website design
- culturally competent leadership and advocacy training
- early childhood intervention
- education of medical personnel
- exercise programs
- family support networks
- inclusive childcare
- mentoring programs
Additional examples can be found in the RFP. Project ideas are not limited to these examples or the examples listed in the RFP.
Any organization that meets the requirements set forth in this RFP can apply. Types of organizations could include:
- government agencies,
- colleges and universities,
- faith-based institutions,
- technical and/or professional schools, and
- for profit businesses.
The organization that applies for this grant must administer the grant and receive, disburse and account for grant funds. Individuals may not apply for this grant.
Grant Funds Available
TCDD has made available up to $100,000 per year, for up to four years, for up to three organizations. Funding for the second through fourth years is not automatic.
TCDD may post this RFP up to four times per year, depending on the availability of funds for these types of projects.
Proposals are due to TCDD by 5 p.m. Central Time on Friday, October 26, 2018. Late proposals will not be accepted. Other key dates include:
- Informational conference call: September 20, 2018
- Deadline to submit questions: September 28, 2018
- Award notification: February 28, 2019 (this date may change)
- Project start date: April 1, 2019 (this date may change)
Learn More and Submit a Proposal
For more information, the complete RFP is available on the DD Suite website. Proposals for this RFP and all forms must be submitted using DD Suite.