The Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities (TCDD) is hiring a Communications Coordinator to oversee the development and implementation of TCDD’s public information and marketing efforts. This position will be located at the TCDD office in Austin, Texas.
The Communications Coordinator will oversee the development and implementation of a variety of public information, marketing, and public relations activities related to TCDD’s mission, strategy, and initiatives. The Communications Coordinator will play a critical role in ensuring the general public and other stakeholders are aware of TCDD’s mission and efforts to create an inclusive community for individuals with disabilities. The coordinator is selected by and accountable to the TCDD Communications Director.
TCDD is responsible for awarding and administering over $3 million in federal funds to organizations that assist people with developmental disabilities (DD) to achieve their potential for independence, productivity, and integration into their communities through a comprehensive system of service and supports in Texas. The Communications Coordinator will play a key role in promoting grant opportunities and communicating the impact our grants are having across Texas.
Job Functions and Qualifications
Essential job functions for this position include the following:
- Raising awareness: Oversees, coordinates, and participates in developing, writing, and producing content and marketing materials that promote awareness of disability-related issues, TCDD’s mission, its Council meetings, Council members, and key staff activities. This may include video, photos, and other digital production.
- TCDD projects: Promotes awareness and understanding of TCDD-funded projects and grantee products through content development and effective marketing activities for target audiences and partners, including legislative and elected officials, state agencies, universities, non-profit organizations, self-advocates, and family members.
- Informational campaigns: Plans and executes statewide informational programs, awareness campaigns, and specific engagement activities and events for various audiences. This may include the collection of public input, survey data, and personal stories from individuals with DD.
- Technical assistance: Provides guidance, training, and coordination of strategic messaging by TCDD and offers specific technical assistance to Council members and grantees, including market research, developing communications materials and products, marketing methods, and effective messaging tactics.
- Audience engagement: Oversees, develops, and maintains effective communications with various audiences, including legislators, state agencies, self-advocates, family members of people with disabilities, grantees, media outlets, colleague organizations, and other external stakeholders to promote disability-related issues and share outcomes from TCDD activities.
Qualified applicants will have:
- Education: Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in in communications, marketing, advertising, journalism, or public relations.
- Experience: A minimum of two (2) years of professional experience in public relations, journalism, public information, communications, media relations, or marketing work.
- Substitutions: An advanced degree can be substituted for two years of experience.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range is $5,000.00 – $5,301.33 monthly and is part of the Total Compensation Package for State of Texas Employees. Learn more about the compensation package on the State Auditor’s Office website.
How to Apply for a TCDD Position
TCDD receives human resources services from the Texas Education Agency (TEA). All applicants are required to enter their employment applications using TEA’s Centralized Accounting and Payroll/Personnel System (CAPPS). Learn how to apply for a position with TEA using CAPPS. Resumes are not accepted.
There is no deadline to apply – the position will be filled when a qualified applicant has been selected. To apply, visit the Communications Coordinator job posting in CAPPS.
This position will be located at the TCDD office, 6201 East Oltorf, Suite 600, Austin, Texas 78741.